Inexpensive, super easy and super tasty..
Ingredients for Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 12 oz maple breakfast sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 15.5 oz can of red kidney beans
- 1 10.75 oz can Campbells tomato soup, concentrated, do not add water.
- 1 cup of instant mashed potato flakes
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup of Bisquick
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Directions for the Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While the meat is cooking, peel and dice sweet potato into 1/2 inch chunks. Mix together sweet potato, chili powder and brown sugar. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 6-8minutes or until sweet potato is semi-soft. Set aside.
- Break up and brown ground beef, breakfast sausage, and diced onion in a skillet. Drain off grease.
- Combine sweet potatoes, meat mixture, kidney beans and tomato soup, mix well.
- Spread mixture in an even layer in a 6 x 8 casserole dish.
Directions for the Topping
- Add butter to water and bring to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Add butter and water immediately to mashed potato flakes.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Add the Bisquick, egg and Italian Seasoning.
- Mix until it forms a dough. Do not over mix.
Put it all together....
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop potato dough onto top of the casserole all across the top.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
I serve with a side of sour cream and creamed corn on the side.