I've been having trouble finding time for breakfast before I start working from home at 7am in the mornings. I wanted something healthy and homemade, so I made a ton of these egg muffins this weekend and frozen them in bags of 4 for breakfast. Here's my recipe:
Frugal Freezer Egg Muffins
- 24 broccoli tots (you can also use tater tots or corn tots)
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, diced
- 1 cup of softened ricotta cheese
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Microwave tots for 2 minutes until thawed.
- Grease each muffin cup with olive oil.
- Smash two tots into the bottom of each muffin cup to make a crust.
- Sprinkle bacon in each cup.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and softened cheese together with a hand mixer for 1 minute or until completed blended and just slightly frothy.
- Pour eggs into each cup. 7 large eggs should fill 12 cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes on 350 degrees.
- Remove pan and sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Let cool completely.
- Slide a butter knife around edges and then remove eggs.
- Freeze on a tray for 20 minutes until an hour, then remove and place in freezer bags and re-freeze.
- When you're ready to eat, microwave on a plate for 3 minutes on high.