I moved into my new 3-bedroom home in the country two months ago and everything is going great! The house has tons of room, we have 2.65 acres of land for a garden and chickens and we're slowly filling the house with furniture. The nightmare came with our first electric bill though. $465! That's insane. Who can afford $465 for electricity every single month?
Our first step was to run out and get solar panels for the roof. The next step was to look for ways to conserve even more energy. While researching energy saving techniques, we came across Ohmconnect! It sounded way too good to be true. Ohmconnect actually pays you to save energy. And it works in conjunction with solar and PGE. It's perfect for us. (By the way, it works if you don't have solar too.)
Is It Too Good To Be True
The first thing I always ask myself when something seems so easy like this is, "Is this too good to be true." Well, I did a lot of research on this one first just to make sure.
Ohmconnect makes a deal with California ISO, an organization overseeing the California Energy Market. When Ohmconnect members reduce energy usage for their area, Ohmconnect gets a payout from the California ISO and in turn passes part of that payout to their members.
Everyone makes a little money and we get to support Green Living and less waste of dirty energy sources!
How Does Ohmconnect Work for You
- First Sign up for Ohmconnect here. It's super easy and totally free. You never pay for anything. They pay you.
- Fill out some information to connect Ohmconnect with your PGE account.
- A few days later you're approved and ready to go!
- Ohmconnect will text and/or email you when there are "Ohm Hours". These are the hours you want to turn off your AC and avoid using excess electricity.
- If you use less electricity during your Ohm hour then they predict your baseline should be... they pay you out in points! When you're ready, convert the points to cash and you're all set!
In the last week I've earned $4.80. I know it's not a lot, but every little bit adds up and it helps you remember to reduce your energy usage for lower PGE bills!